Senior defenseman Kaare Odegard (Red Deer, Alberta/Business finance) has been named one of 11 college hockey players that have been nominated for the 2013 BNY Mellon Hockey Humanitarian Award.
One of three Central Collegiate Hockey Association players in the group, Odegard is also one of two repeat nominees. A complete list of nominees are detailed below.
Shawn Head on various fundraising activities throughout the 2011-12 season.
Their efforts rose close to $140,000 ($95,000 of which was contributed based on team achievements, individual donations and a silent auction). They have continued the effort this season with the hopes of generating more funds to benefit the hospital that cares for Fairbanks area heart patients. For more information, visit: http:// fairbankshospitalfoundation.com/with-all-your-heart/.
He also volunteers several hours a month (and countless more over the course of the season/year) alongside his teammates for various events activities and causes in the Fairbanks community. Those activities have included but are not limited to Hockey Skills Clinics, reading to and playing games with elementary aged kids with the “’Nooks For Books” initiative, the Alaska Senior Games, Special Olympics, Hockey Week In Fairbanks (reading to kids in local schools), Mush For Kids, Sports Night at the Denali Center and Skate With The Nanooks.
The fourth-year blueliner has three goals and two assists in 21 games this season and three goals and 11 assists in 104 career games for Alaska. He has also played a role in the Nanooks penalty killing unit, ranked ninth-best in NCAA Division I with an 88.9 efficiency (96-of-108).
Finalists will be announced in February, and this year’s recipient will be introduced and honored in a ceremony on Friday, April 12 in Pittsburgh as part of the 2013 Men’s D-I Frozen Four weekend.
To learn more about the BNY Mellon Wealth Management Hockey Humanitarian Award, click on our website HERE.
2013 Hockey Humanitarian Nominees:
· Jason Beattie, Senior, Niagara University
· Brett Beebe, Senior, Western Michigan University
· Megan Bozek, Senior, University of Minnesota
· Cobina Delaney, Senior, Robert Morris University
· Dan Evarts, Senior, St. Michael’s College
· Jordan Heywood, Junior, Merrimack College
· Mike Johnson, Senior, University of Notre Dame
· J. Tucker Mullin #, Senior, St. Anselm College
· Kaare Odegard #, Senior, University of Alaska
· Jeffrey Reppucci, Junior, College of the Holy Cross
· Alyssa Zupon, Senior, Yale University
# repeat nominee